Acroname Hub 3c with MDS 5.1
- Acroname 3c Hub purchased with MDS support
- 6 USB-C cables that support USB 2 and USB-PD. Do not use cables that support USB 3 or later. The white USB-C charge cables that come with Mac laptops can be used.
- Mac with Apple Configurator 2 and MDS installed.
- Up to 5 Apple Silicon Macs that are need to be erased.
- Download MDS 5.1 build 50031 or later
- Install or Upgrade MDS to the downloaded version
- Connect the Mac running MDS 5 to port 0 on the Acroname hub using a USB-C 2 cable that support USB-PD.
- Connect up to 5 additional Mac Apple Silicon systems to port 1-5 on the Acroname hub using a USB-C 2 cable that supports USB-PD.
- Open MDS and select Apple Silicon and iOS USB-C Restore
- Select the Acroname Hub tab
- Select all devices and select Put in DFU mode.
- Verify all devices are listed and then select Restore. If any devices are not listed by model identifier, select the missing Mac and select Put i DFU Mode.
When the devices are restoring, the follow progress can be observed:
- The macOS image is expanded to a folder starting with restore_bundle_ for each restored Mac and each folder will be about 15 GB. You can open /tmp, turn on Calculate All Sizes in the Finder for the /tmp folder, and watch the size of each folder increase. This usually takes 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once the image is expanded, the Mac systems will reboot and show an Apple logo and progress bar. Within 5 minutes, all progress bars should be showing some activity.
- Each Mac system adds about 8 minutes for the restore time. For 5 Macs, restore time should be about 35 minutes.