Smart Card Utility Mobile Reader Quick Start Guide
In order to get up and running to authenticate to a website, there is some setup that needs to be done.
Verify iOS Version
Installing Root and/or Intermediate Certificates
Many Department of Defense websites requires specific Root and Intermediate certificates be installed. We have created a profile to make this easy to install. You then install the software and read in the certificates from your CAC / Smart Card. Finally, you can test authentication on our test website. For US Government and Military Personnel, websites require the DoD root and intermediate certificates. To install the certificates, download the certificate profile:
Once you’ve downloaded the Profile, install the Profile on your device:
Open your Settings App and Tap “Profile Downloaded”:
Follow the instructions to install the profile and certificates.
Download Smart Card Utility
Though you have the necessary hardware, it’s important to download Smart Card Utility on your iOS or iPadOS device. To download Smart Card Utility, search for “smart card utility” in the App Store.
Tap “Search” in the bottom-right corner, then use the search bar at the top to search for Smart Card Utility:
Tap “Get” to download.
Once the app completes downloading, open it to continue your setup:
Complete Initial Setup
Before jumping in to using Smart Card Utility, you must first complete Initial Setup of the app. We’ll take you step-by-step so you don’t miss a thing.
When opening Smart Card Utility, you’ll see these prompts. Swipe through the first two prompts and Tap “Let’s Go!” in the last one to enter the app.
Next, you’ll see a prompt for Notifications. Make sure to tap “Allow” to enable Status Updates. Local push notifications are sent when you are using your smart card to give you informative and error messages.
If you tap “Don’t Allow”, see the Notifications section of our User Guide for instructions on how to allow them in your Settings.
To use the Mobile reader from Twocanoes, the user only scans the certificates required for authentication.
Full instructions on Scanning are available in the Scan section of the User Guide, but this Quick Setup guide will provide instructions for scanning so you can start using Smart Card Utility right away:
1. Insert Reader & Card
Make sure that Bluetooth in iOS is turned on, but don’t setup Bluetooth in the iOS settings app. Stay in the Smart Card Utility app—no configuration in Settings is needed.
Additionally, check that your smart card is fully inserted into your reader.
2. Connect the Mobile Reader
When your hardware is all set, you may begin your scan. Tap Add Bluetooth or Other Reader… at the top of the screen to begin.
Then, select the type of reader from the list shown.
3. Start your Scan & View Certificates
Once you tap Add Bluetooth or Other Reader…, you’ll be prompted to select a reader from a list of nearby or plugged-in readers:
4. Mobile Reader PIN Pairing
You must go through the PIN Paring process the first time you connect the Mobile reader with a device. After pairing the first time, you won’t need to do it again.
A prompt to enter the Mobile reader’s PIN will display. On the back of the Mobile Reader, find the Bluetooth pairing PIN. Enter the PIN into the prompt. Please see the Pairing with additional devices section of this guide for more details.
After completing pairing, the Smart Card will be read by Smart Card Utility. when completed the Certificates screen will display. All of the certificates from the Smart Card will be displayed in a list.
The 9a Authentication certificate will be used for Accessing websites and other portals and is the only one recommended to insert. The 9c Certificate is used for document signing.
Tap Insert next to the 9a Authentication certificate and then tap Back in the top left corner of the Certificates Menu.
Now that the certificates have been imported, open Safari and navigate to a website that requires your smart card to authenticate.
Pairing with additional devices when using the Smart Card Utility Mobile reader
For security, pairing additional devices requires the Mobile Reader be put into pairing mode before the Mobile reader will allow a new device to pair with it. Follow the steps below to pair additional devices.
- Insert your CAC into the reader.
- Make sure the reader is off. If it is on, hold the power button down for 3 seconds, and the reader should turn off.
- Once the reader is off, Press and Hold the Power Button for about 5 seconds. Release the Power Button once the Blue LED starts to double flash. The double flashing indicates the Mobile reader is now in Pairing Mode.
- Open Smart Card Utility and Tap Add Bluetooth or other Reader… A menu should pop up.
- Select the Mobile reader from the menu.
- A Pairing Request will appear, asking for the reader’s PIN. Enter the PIN from the back of the reader.
- After pairing is complete, Smart Card Utility will read in the certificates.
- If the device does not pair, remove any paired Mobile Readers in Settings->Bluetooth on iOS.
You can do this easily with the Test button in the center of the bottom bar of Smart Card Utility, which will redirect you to the “Smart Card Utility Test Links” page.
A list of test links will be shown. Select the first link named Twocanoes Test Site and verify that you can authenticate with that website.
Reset Bluetooth Reader Pairing List
The Twocanoes Mobile Reader allows up to 5 device pairings at any one time (though only one device can be connected to it at one time). To reset the reader’s pairing list, follow the steps below:
- Makes sure the reader is off. Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to turn the reader off until all lights turn off.
- Press and Hold the power button for 10 seconds.
- Release the power button once the Orange LED flashes. The device has been reset and it
Connecting to a device that was paired before the reset
After you reset the Mobile reader, any previously paired devices will no longer be able to pair with the reader until you remove the Bluetooth information settings on the iOS device.
- Open Settings for your iPhone or iPad.
- Select Bluetooth in your settings menu.
- Locate the Mobile Reader among My Devices.
- Tap on the Bluetooth ID that should match the number on the back of your reader.
- This will take you to another menu.
- Tap on Forget This Device.
Now you are ready to re-pair with the iOS device.