Smart Card Utility: Troubleshooting Website Issues
When using Smart Card Utility for iPhone & iPad, you may get an error when connecting to some websites. This can have range of reasons, including:
- Verify the reader is on. For bluetooth readers, look at the bottom on the reader. If no lights are on, press the power button and try connecting again. For the USBS and Lightning readers, try unplugging and plugging the reader in again.
- Try rebooting the iPad or iPhone and then try connecting again.
- Certificates not trusted: To resolve, install the appropriate certificate. If you are getting errors on DoD websites, certificates see the Using US Government and Department of Defense (DoD) Certificates in Smart Card Utility.
- Verify that you are selecting the correct certificate. When importing certificates from your CAC or PIV card, only import the slot that is supported by the website (usually slot 9a: PIV Authentication)
- Reinstall the app by deleting the app from iOS and then reinstalling from the iOS app store.
- Visit the links at our test website.
If those steps do not resolve the issue, Smart Card Utility has a built in browser that can capture the errors when connecting to a website. To capture the errors:
- Verify that you have the latest version of the App by opening the App Store and see if there is an update.
- Open Smart Card Utility and tap Settings. Turn on Logging and Include Intermediate Certs.
- Go back to the main screen and tap Test. Type in the URL that is causing the issue and tap Go.
- Attempt to authenticate and replicate the error.
- Tap Log in the upper right and tap Share. Email to email@example.com with an explanation of the issue.
We will investigate the log and hopefully determine the source of the error.
Subscribe to Smart Card Utility Updates and get 10% off any Smart Card reader!Get 10% off any smart card reader from Twocanoes Software and keep up-to-date on Smart Card Utility and all things smart card related. Once you sign up, you'll get a email with a coupon code for 10% off any smart card reader.
"*" indicates required fields