Smart Card Utility Bluetooth Reader Quick Start
Identify which version of Bluetooth Reader you have
Some Smart Card Utility Bluetooth Readers require PIN pairing when first pairing with Bluetooth. If your reader does not have a PIN on the back of the reader, PIN pairing is not required.
Smart Card Utility Bluetooth Reader without PIN Pairing
Smart Card Utility Bluetooth Reader with PIN Pairing
In order to get up and running to authenticate to a website, there is some setup that needs to be done.
Verify iOS Version
Installing Root and/or Intermediate Certificates
Many Department of Defense websites requires specific Root and Intermediate certificates be installed. We have created a profile to make this easy to install. You then install the software and read in the certificates from your CAC / Smart Card. Finally, you can test authentication on our test website. For US Government and Military Personnel, websites require the DoD root and intermediate certificates. To install the certificates, download the certificate profile:
Once you’ve downloaded the Profile, install the Profile on your device:
Open your Settings App and Tap “Profile Downloaded”:
Follow the instructions to install the profile and certificates.
Download Smart Card Utility
Though you have the necessary hardware, it’s important to download Smart Card Utility on your iOS or iPadOS device. To download Smart Card Utility, search for “smart card utility” in the App Store.
Tap “Search” in the bottom-right corner, then use the search bar at the top to search for Smart Card Utility:
Tap “Get” to download.
Once the app completes downloading, open it to continue your setup:
Complete Initial Setup
Before jumping in to using Smart Card Utility, you must first complete Initial Setup of the app. We’ll take you step-by-step so you don’t miss a thing.
When opening Smart Card Utility, you’ll see these prompts. Swipe through the first two prompts and Tap “Let’s Go!” in the last one to enter the app.
Next, you’ll see a prompt for Notifications. Make sure to tap “Allow” to enable Status Updates. Local push notifications are sent when you are using your smart card to give you informative and error messages.
If you tap “Don’t Allow”, see the Notifications section of our User Guide for instructions on how to allow them in your Settings.
To use the Bluetooth, Lightning, or USB-C reader from Twocanoes, the user only scans the certificates required for authentication.
Full instructions on Scanning are available in the Scan section of the User Guide, but this Quick Setup guide will provide instructions for scanning so you can start using Smart Card Utility right away:
1. Insert Reader & Card
For Bluetooth readers, turn on your device’s Bluetooth connection, but stay in the Smart Card Utility app—no configuration in Settings is needed.
Additionally, check that your smart card is fully inserted into your reader.
2. Tap Add Bluetooth or Other Reader… and Select your Reader
When your hardware is all set, you may begin your scan. Tap “Add Bluetooth or Other Reader…” at the top of the screen to begin.
Then, select the type of reader from the list shown.
3. Start your Scan & View Certificates
Once you tap “Add Bluetooth or Other Reader…”, you’ll be prompted to select a reader from a list of nearby or plugged-in readers:
4. If using a Bluetooth Reader with PIN Pairing, you must connect via PIN.
The first time you connect the reader with a device, you need to go through the PIN Paring process. Once you do it once, you won’t need to do it again.
Tap on “Add Bluetooth or Other Reader” and select your reader.
You should now be prompted to enter your PIN. Simply turn the reader over, and you will find your PIN in the lower left on the back of the reader. Enter this PIN into the prompt. Please see the Pairing with additional devices section for additional details.
Once you’ve finished selecting your reader, initiate your scan to be taken to the “Certificates” screen. You should see a list of certificates:
It is recommended that you only select the 9a:PIV authentication certificate since this is the certificate that is used for authentication in Safari.
After you tap Insert, a success message should pop up.
Now that the certificates have been imported, open Safari and navigate to a website that requires your smart card to authenticate.
Twocanoes Bluetooth reader relies on four LEDs for status indication. Please check out the Bluetooth Reader Light Indicator Guide for more details.
Pairing with additional devices when using the Smart Card Utility Bluetooth reader with PIN Pairing
Adding a second device or any additional devices will require additional steps before a reader with PIN Pairing will pair. Follow the steps below to pair additional devices.
- Insert your CAC into the reader.
- Make sure the reader is off. If it is on, simply hold the power button down for 3 seconds and the reader should turn off.
- Once the reader is off, Hold the power button for 5 seconds. The Blue LED should start to double flash once it has entered Pairing Mode.
- Open Smart Card Utility and Tap “Add Bluetooth or other Reader“. A menu should pop up.
- Select the Bluetooth reader’s Bluetooth ID(located on the back of the reader) from the menu.
- A Bluetooth Pairing Request will appear asking for the reader’s PIN number. Enter the PIN from the back of the reader.
- The user should now be taken to the “Certificates” screen and you should see a list of certificates from your CAC.
You can do this easily with the Test button in the center of the bottom bar of Smart Card Utility, which will redirect you to the “Smart Card Utility Test Links” page.
A list of test links will be shown. Select the first link named Twocanoes Test Site and verify that you can authenticate with that website.
Reset Bluetooth Reader Pairing List
The Smart Card Utility Bluetooth Reader with PIN Pairing allows up to 7 devices to pair with the reader at any one time (though only one device can be connected at one time). In order to reset the reader’s pairing list, follow the steps below:
- Makes sure the reader is off. To turn the reader off, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds until all lights turn off.
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
- Once you see the orange LED flash 2 times, the device has been reset.
Connecting to a device that was paired before the reset
After you perform a reset on the Bluetooth reader, any previously paired devices will not be able to connect until you remove the pairing settings on iOS. To reset the reader pairing on iOS, follow the steps below.
- Open settings for your iPhone or iPad.
- Select Bluetooth in your settings menu.
- Locate your Bluetooth reader among “My Devices“
- Tap on the Bluetooth ID that should match the number on the back of your reader.
- This will take you to another menu.
- Tap on “Forget This Device”
Now you are ready to pair with the device.